Are you aware that insurers provide auto insurance discounts to many people based on a variety of situations? There’s a good chance that you’re eligible for a discount, but you may never know until you ask your agent. The following list contains discounts frequently offered by insurers:
- Multi-car discount: An easy way to save is to bundle all the cars owned by your household into a single policy. Many married couples already know this, but did you know that roommates or live-in significant others can also bundle their cars together? Premiums will still be based on the make, model and year of the cars, along the driving records of the owners.
- Multi-policy discount: If you’ve already bundled your cars together, take it one step further for even more savings. You can create a bigger bundle by adding your home or renter’s policy, your life policy and any other recreational vehicles you may own, such as a boat or RV. Bundling multiple policies creates across-the-board savings when you purchase from a single insurer.
- Good driver discount: The cautious are often rewarded. You can save if your driving record is clear of accidents and tickets. Some insurers offer premium discounts, while others offer vanishing deductibles. If an accident mars your record, completing a defensive driving course may also qualify you for a discount.
- Good student discount: Successful students (with at least a B average) may also be rewarded with a discount. Your insurer may require you to provide documentation of your grades each time you renew your policy to confirm your educational efforts.
- Teacher discount: Many insurers offer specialized discounts for teachers and professors, such as a reduced deductible if your car is vandalized while on school property. Studies have reported that educated individuals are less likely to display dangerous driving behaviors, leading to discounts for educators who provide proof of their credentials.
- Military discount: Our armed forces may also qualify for specialized discounts, such as a reduced premium while deployed on active duty. This discount is a great opportunity to stay insured for less in case of a storm or theft.
- Federal government discount: Federal employees must pass intensive screenings to gain clearance and are therefore considered low-risk after passing. Members of government organizations may qualify for this specialized discount.
Ask us about your eligibility. Call General Insurance Services at (219) 362-2113 for a Michigan City auto insurance quote.